FOR THE RECORD...the ugliness of this bath is no one person's fault but that of an era (1965), when beauty had much to be desired. That be said, this is BY FAR one of the BEST transformations in this entire house. Said ME. And the hubby. And the daughter. And the two sons. And everyone who has eyes.
Let us pray. First: The very first day of ownership that I used this little half bath I GLORIOUSLY ripped off one section of wallpaper. I had to put my "mark" on it without hesitation or in-trepidation! I was so intent on my mission I didn't even see the beach theme on the wallpaper...something we could live with for awhile since I was determined to make this home sort of like it belonged in Nantucket. I had to know in my heart of hearts that this was SOON TO BE GONE, from the beige plastic tiles to the horrific floor, whatever the cost to mind, body and pocketbook,
IT WOULD ALL DISAPPEAR!
And God blessed us with a son and it went fast!
I was surprised at myself at how quickly I came up with a design solution for this 4x8 space. We were actually out shopping for doors that weekend hoping to tackle the hallway/entrance but when we found we had to special order the doors, my brain actually switched gears and my mouth declared, "THEN WE SHALL DO THE BATHROOM!" AND WE DID! And it was GOOD!
And it all started with the cutest vanity I had spotted at Home Depot...which I cannot find a picture of! LOL
You'll just have to wait for the finished product!
SO after all the tiles were removed, Rich scraped off the bulk of the glue. It did NOT smell good in there at all! So, I primed over all the remaining glue and it was like lilacs in Springtime. Then we made a little trip to Home Depot and picked out a beautiful 4x8 piece of thin plywood...ok, maybe we got three...thinner than 1/4"...pre-sanded, with pretty grain. We had them rip it into 8" strips and then measured each piece to make our walls farmhouse height wainscoting and then the worst wall, clear up to the ceiling. Going to the ceiling was the perfect design even if it was a "forced" decision! And the highlight of the day for the man of the house: He got to use his new air nail gun.
I even got to shoot it and I ain't never had target practice!
After a WHOLE lotta trips back and forth to the garage for cutting after measuring twice and cutting once, it was time for me to paint! (HUBBY WAS a MASTER with the saw!) I had previously planned to paint the wood solid white, but once I saw the awesome grain, I decided this deserved to be WHITEWASHED. And it turned out way better than expected. I usually use about 1 part paint to 2 parts water. I work bottom to top to avoid runs, like when washing walls.